With changing weather conditions and pollution in the air, nighttime cough is becoming very conman. Here are some ways to relieve for nighttime cough.
- Drink Tea with honey: Hot Black tea (no milk ) with honey will ease the throat. Make sure that you do not drink large quantity otherwise it will affect your sleep. Few sips of tea is good enough. Please make sure that honey should not be given to children below the age of 1 due to risk of bacterial positioning.
- Elevate the head while while sleeping: Because we are lying flat in bed it can pool mucus back in throat and cause coughing. A person can prop up the head of their bed using a few pillows or a back wedge.
- Use Humidifier: Dry air can make a cough worse. Air conditioning and cooling fans in the summer and heating systems in the winter can make the environment dry. Try using a humidifier at night to add moisture to the air where they sleep. Adding humidity by this method may help soothe the throat and prevent coughing.
- Gargle with warm salt water before bed: Salt water can ease a sore or irritated throat. It can also help remove mucus from the back of the throat.
- Use a saline nasal spray:A saline nasal spray can decrease dryness, thin mucus, and wash away irritants and allergens from the nose.Saline nasal sprays contain salt and water and may also decrease postnasal drip.